Christchurch Standing AngelProduct #:
This detailed Angel figure is part of the history and vast collection of artifacts located at Christchurch Cathedral in Christchurch, New Zealand. The Church was built between 1864 and 1904 and is surrounded by Cathedral Square. Repeated earthquakes from 1888 to 2010 had caused some damage to the building. However, in February of 2011 a devastating earthquake destroyed the majestic tower and many other areas of the church. The decision was made to demolish the building and replace it with a new structure. However, in 2015, after much debate and public demand, an announcement was made to rebuild and restore the church to the original plan.
There are four identical Angel figures, at four corners, on the lectern. Each Angel has an expression of peace and worship, flowing robes, hands lifted at chest height, and closed in a position of prayer or reverence. They surround and protect a small building structure at the base of the lectern. From the center and reaching upward is an ornamental carved post. At the top of the post stands a majestic eagle figure and a companion younger eagle. On the back of the eagles is a lectern pad. The Lectern was designed by Jones & Willis of London and given as a gift to the church in 1881.
This beautiful, ornate piece was undamaged and rescued on the day of the 2011 earthquake by construction workers, and placed in storage. It is now on display at the temporary Cardboard Transitional Cathedral opened in August 2013. When the reconstruction of the cathedral is completed, the lectern will be replaced in its original location.
Made of cold cast resin. Hand painted.
L: 4" x W: 3.75" x H: 14.75"
We Also Recommend